When you think about Kolkata Knight Riders hosting Royal Challengers Bangalore at the Eden Gardens, one thing that comes to our mind is RCB’s dismal performance against the Knight Riders in the 2017 edition when they were dismissed for just 49 in one of their matches. The Virat Kohli-led outfit will look to change things when they travel all the way to Kolkata to take on the Kolkata Knight Riders in the third match of the season later tonight.
After the completion of the 2018 IPL auction, one might have thought that RCB did a fantastic job by picking up the right players. Yes, they did that, but, an unfortunate injury to Nathan Coulter-Nile has pulled things back for Kohli’s men.
The Indian skipper will have a lot of headache in picking the right combination, especially for the opener’s slot as they have as many as seven opening batsmen in their squad. Apart from that, their line-up is almost settled as they have two quality spinners in Washington Sundar and Yuzvendra Chahal backed by their fast bowlers spearheaded by Umesh Yadav and Chris Woakes.
KKR, on the other hand, have their own issues to address as they just have a strong top-order and a below-par bowling attack which will be spearheaded by English import Tom Curran, who replaced an injured Mitchell Starc last week. In all likelihood, we will be witnessing two of India’s 2018 under-19 World Cup heroes in Shubman Gill and Kamlesh Nagarkoti in their playing XI.
Let us take a look at how the teams will line up for their season opener.
IPL 2018 Royal Challengers Bangalore Squad
Brendon McCullum, Parthiv Patel, Virat Kohli (c), AB de Villiers, Sarfaraz Khan, Mandeep Singh, Colin de Grandhomme, Chris Woakes, Washington Sundar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Umesh Yadav and Mohammad Siraj.
IPL 2018 Kolkata Knight Riders Squad
Chris Lynn, Shubman Gill, Robin Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik (c), Nitish Rana, Andre Russell, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Sunil Narine, Tom Curran, Piyush Chawla and Kuldeep Yadav.
IPL 2018 RCB vs KKR Prediction
RCB to take revenge for their 49 all-out by beating KKR in their season opener.
Please check few hours before the match for latest update.
IPL 2018 RCB vs KKR
We are providing key players from both teams, try to pick from them to be safe.
Local: Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Kuldeep Yadav, Nitish Rana, Shubman Gill.
Foreign: Chris Lynn, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell.
* Chris Lynn is expected to open innings with Sunil Narine/Robin Uthappa.
* Shubman Gill was impressive with bat in U19 world cup, so he is expected to feature in playing11.
* Any two of Vinay Kumar, Shivam Mavi & Kamlesh Nagarkoti are expected to play this match. We expect Vinay Kumar and Kamlesh Nagarkoti will play.
* Rinku Singh, Ishank Jaggi were impressive in warmup matches but they might not get a chance to play this match as Kolkata will think of playing with their best players in this match.
* D Karthik will take the Wicket Keeping responsibilities for Kolkata and Robin Uthappa is expected to play as specialist batsman.
* Considering recent form of Nitish Rana & Kuldeep Yadav, they are expected to feature in playing11 ahead of Ishank Jaggi & Piyush Chawla for this match.
* Tom Curran/ M Johnson will be the 4th foreign player in the playing11 for this match.
Local: Virat Kohli, Sarfaraz Khan, Umesh Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal,
Foreign: AB de Villiers, Colin de Grandhomme, B McCullum.
* P Patel is expected to open with Brendon McCullum/Quinton de Kock.Risky choice as Kohli might open the innings as he did in last year IPL.
* P Patel might keep the wickets for RCB.
* Among Sarfaraz Khan/Mandeep Singh/Manan Vohra only one player is expected to feature in Playing11.
* Bangalore have experienced foreign all-rounders, so P Negi might not play this match. We expect C Woakes and de Grandhomme might play.
* C Woakes have higher chance of being considered ahead of T Southee to lead Bowling attack with U Yadav and Y Chahal.
* Moeen Ali might not feature as Bangalore will think of going with Indian spinners Y Chahal & Washington Sundar.
Kolkata: 11 Wins
Bangalore: 9 Wins
Safe Captain choices
AB de Villiers
Risky Captain choices
Match to be played at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
Pitch is expected to be batting friendly with slight help for bowlers.
No injury concern for both teams.