Just a day after the Under 19 World Cup last, the ICC, on Sunday (February 4), announced the team of the tournament which was thoroughly overwhelmed by the Indian youngsters, who fittingly won the pined for the trophy for the fourth time in the history.
South Africa’s Raynard Van Tonder has been named as the captain of the side which includes players from four different countries – India, New Zealand, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. Van Tonder, who began his World Cup battle with a rankling 143 against Kenya, ordered a cap trap of single-digit scores before returning to frame in the last two diversions. The explanation for picking Van Tonder, in any case, as the captain of the side is purely for his ‘better cricket acumen’ the ICC stated, in its discharge.
- The Indians in the team are Prithvi Shaw, Manjot Kalra, Shubman Gill, Anukul Roy and Kamlesh Nagarkoti.
- The team of the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup was picked by a five-person selection panel.
- South Africa captain Raynard van Tonder was named to lead the side.
India’s best three – Prithvi Shaw, Manjot Kalra and Shubman Gill – who outperformed their adversaries neck and yield, with the bat, stood out enough to be noticed, as they fixed spaces 1, 2 and 3 in the playing eleven outline. The Kiwi number three Finn Allen snatched the fourth spot having made 338 runs, which includes a century and two fifties, in the tournament.
Qais Ahmad of Afghanistan and Ankul Roy of India were the main ones to get picked from the turn division, while Kamlesh Nagarkoti (India), Gerald Coetzee (South Africa) and Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan), asserted the quick knocking down some pins spots eight, nine and eleven separately.
Wandile Makwetu, who had an amazing time behind the stumps and the arguably the best gloveman of the tournament, was fittingly named as the wicket-attendant of the side, batting at number six just underneath his commander van Tonder. Windies all-rounder Alick Athanaze, for his outstanding show with the bat – two fifties and two centuries, has been set apart as the twelfth man of the side.
As is clear by the names, the team has been picked completely based on exhibitions and consistency.
ICC Under 19 World Cup Team 2018 Squad
- Prithvi Shaw (India),
- Manjot Kalra (India),
- Shubman Gill (India),
- Finn Allen (New Zealand),
- Raynard van Tonder (South Africa, ICC U19 World Cup Captain 2018),
- Wandile Makwetu (wicket-keeper) (South Africa),
- Anukul Roy (India),
- Kamlesh Nagarkoti (India),
- Gerald Coetzee (South Africa),
- Qais Ahmad (Afghanistan),
- Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan).
12th man: Alick Athanaze (West Indies).