The two franchises who were banned for two years for their owners’ involvement in betting during the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal, Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals, are set to take on each other at the MCA stadium in Pune later today.
This match, which was originally scheduled to take place in Chennai, was moved out of the Tamil Nadu capital after the IPL Governing Council decided to move all the home games of Chennai from Chepauk to Pune due to the Cauvery protests in the city.
In spite of the change in venue, the Chennai Super Kings fans should consider themselves lucky as the franchise has arranged a free trip in a charter train for the fans in Chennai in order to attend all their home games in Pune.
The hosts are coming into this game from a loss against Kings XI Punjab but the mood in the camp is electric. Vice-captain Suresh Raina, who missed the previous match due to an injury, is fit and is raring to go ahead of the Royals clash. There were reports that skipper MS Dhoni is suffering from a stiff back and is likely to play as a pure batsman, handing over all the wicket-keeping duties to English import Sam Billings.
Rajasthan Royals, on the other hand, will be banking on Jofra Archer to regain full fitness as the team has been missing the all-rounder badly. One more concern for the Royals will be D’Arcy Short’s form as the left-hander seems to struggle against the spinners and with Chennai boasting a line-up of world-class spinners, it will be interesting to see whether Short gets the nod ahead of Heinrich Klaasen yet again or not. Let us take a look at how the teams will line up for tonight’s clash.
IPL 2018 CSK 17th Match Probable 11
Shane Watson, Murali Vijay, Ambati Rayudu, Suresh Raina, Sam Billings, MS Dhoni, DJ Bravo, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Imran Tahir and Shardul Thakur.
IPL 2018 RR 17th Match Probable 11
Ajinkya Rahane, Rahul Tripathi, Sanju Samson, Heinrich Klaasen, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, K Gowtham, Jofra Archer, Shreyas Gopal, Jaydev Unadkat and Dhawal Kulkarni.
IPL 2018 CSK vs RR 17th Match Prediction
Both the teams are coming off a loss in their previous match and both the teams must be familiar with how the conditions in Pune will be as players from both the teams have played for Rising Pune Supergiant in the last two seasons. Chennai Super Kings start as the favorites and are likely to come out victorious in tonight’s game.
IPL 2018 CSK vs RR 17th Match Weather Report
According to Accu Weather, it is extremely hot in Pune, as the city is experiencing temperatures hovering around 36–38 Degree Celsius. Pune has also had his share of rain in the last week but is likely to stay clean on the match day.
IPL 2018 CSK vs RR 17th Match Details
* Please check few hours before the match for latest updates.
* As the teams are making few unexpected changes, we are providing a list of key players for both teams, pick from them to be safe.
* In Wicket Keeper section both MS Dhoni and Jos Butler are safe options.
Chennai Super Kings
Local: A Rayudu, MS Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Ravindra Jadeja.
Foreign: DJ Bravo, Shane Watson, Sam Billings.
* Kedar Jadhav is injured and out of the squad, David Willey has been announced as the replacement. But he might not get a chance in the playing XI.
* L Ngidi is not available for this match as he travelled to South Africa.
* Suresh Raina had a minor injury and missed last match. He was seen practicing in the nets and he is expected to return so he might replace M Vijay in the playing XI.
* MS Dhoni had a severe back issue in the last match and missed the CSK training session as well. There is no news on his recovery, we will let you know if there is any update.
* Shane Watson and A Rayudu are most likely to open the innings.
* S Thakur was bit expensive, but he has taken couple of wickets at regular intervals. He could retain his position in the playing XI.
* D Chahar was expensive in the last 2 matches, he might be replaced with K Sharma.Pick him on your own risk
* There is no update on Faf du Plessis injury. We will inform you if we get any news.
* Rest of the line-up is expected to be same from last match.
Local: Ajinkya Rahane, R Tripathi, Sanju Samson & K Goutham.
Foreign: Ben Stokes, Jos Butler, D’Arcy Short.
* A Rahane and D Short are expected to open the innings for Rajasthan Royals.
* D Short performed well in the last match.
* If RR looks to strengthen their batting line-up then there is a slight chance of H Klassen coming into playing XI. Pick Him at your OWN risk
* S Gopal and K Goutham performed well so far in this season so they might retain their place.
* J Archer was seen practicing in the nets but there is no official statement about his recovery, we will update you once we get any news.
* If J Archer is fit then he might replace Ben Laughlin in the playing XI.
* D Kulkarni, J Unadkat and B Stokes might lead the bowling attack.
* Ish Sodhi replaced injured Afghanistan bowler Zahir Khan.
CSK & RR both with 4 Points are placed at 4th and 5th positions respectively.
Head to Head:
CSK: 11 wins
RR: 7 wins
Chennai Super Kings
Local Players : MS Dhoni (c), KM Asif, Deepak Chahar, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Harbhajan Singh, Ravindra Jadeja, Narayan Jagadeesan, Kshitiz Sharma, Monu Kumar,Kanishk Seth, Karn Sharma, Dhruv Shorey, Shardul Thakur, Murali Vijay
Foreign Players : Sam Billings, Dwayne Bravo, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Lungi Ngidi, Shane Watson, Mark Wood, David Willey.
Rajasthan Royals Squad
Local: Ajinkya Rahane (c), Ankit Sharma, Anureet Singh, Stuart Binny, Aryaman Birla, Prashant Chopra, Shreyas Gopal, Krishnappa Gowtham, Dhawal Kulkarni ,Mahipal Lomror, Sudhesan Midhun, Sanju Samson, Jatin Saxena, Rahul Tripathi, Jaydev Unadkat.
Foreign: Jofra Archer, Jos Buttler (wk), Dushmantha Chameera, Ben Laughlin, D’Arcy Short, Ben Stokes, Klassen, Ish Sodhi.
Safe Captain choices
Risky Captain choices
IPL 2018 CSK 17th Match Pitch Report
Match to be played at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune.
Pitch is expected to be good for batting with some assistance to spin.
Kedar Jadhav is injured and ruled out of IPL.
L Ngidi travelled back to South Africa on personal reason, he will miss few matches.
Zahir Khan is injured and ruled out of IPL.
Dushmantha Chameera is injured and will be out for few more games.
Jofra Archer is injured and there is no update.