Pakistan squad for the 2018 Asia Cup announced Pakistan have dropped all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez from their squad for the upcoming 2018 Asia Cup. The Pakistan selectors led by legendary batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq named a strong 16-member squad for the upcoming 2018 Asia Cup which will get underway in the United Arab Emirates on September 15.
There was just one surprise inclusion in the squad led by Sarfaraz Ahmed as opening batsman Shan Masood, who is yet to make his ODI debut, has been named in the squad as the replacement for Hafeez. Masood made his international debut in 2013 and has played 12 Tests but no limited-overs matches for his country. He has been rewarded for his excellent performances in List-A cricket as he has scored three centuries and five half-centuries in last 10 innings.
All-rounder Imad Wasim has not been included in the squad after failing to clear the test by registering a score of 17.1, two short of the minimum mark and hence, he was not included in the Pakistani squad for the tournament. He was previously named in the preliminary squad that attended a camp at the Gadaffi stadium in Lahore over the last two days. Their fast bowling department has as many as four left-arm quicks in the form of Mohammed Amir, Junaid Khan, 18-year-old Shaheen Khan Afridi and Usman Khan Shenwari while Hassan Ali is the only right-arm seamer who will be backed by all-rounder Faheem Ashraf. Along with Faheem, leggie Shadab Khan, Asif Ali and Mohammad Nawaz will be the all-rounders.
Pakistan’s successful opening combination of Imam ul Haq and Fakhar Zaman has retained its place in the side. Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Haris Sohail will be the middle-order batsmen along with skipper Sarfaraz. Former captain Mohammad Hafeez has been dropped from the ODI squad for Asia’s premier ODI tournament.
Asia Cup 2018 Full Schedule
Asia Cup 2018 – Group Stage
- 15 September – Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka (Dubai)
- 16 September – Pakistan vs Qualifier (Dubai)
- 17 September – Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan (Abu Dhabi)
- 18 September – India vs Qualifier (Dubai)
- 19 September – India vs Pakistan (Dubai)
- 20 September – Bangladesh vs Afghanistan (Abu Dhabi)
Asia Cup 2018 – Super Four Stage
- 21 September – Group A Winner vs Group B Runner-up (Dubai)
- 21 September – Group B Winner vs Group A Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
- 23 September – Group A Winner vs Group A Runner-up (Dubai)
- 23 September – Group B Winner vs Group B Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
- 25 September – Group A Winner vs Group B Winner (Dubai)
- 26 September – Group A Runner-up vs Group B Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
Asia Cup 2018 – Final
- 28 September – Asia Cup 2018 Final (Dubai)
Pakistan is grouped alongside India and a qualifier in the tournament and is expected to qualify for the second round of the tournament along with their arch-rivals India.
Asia Cup 2018 Pakistan Players List
- Sarfraz Ahmed (Captain)
- Fakhar Zaman
- Shoaib Malik
- Mohammad Amir
- Shadab Khan
- Imam ul Haq
- Shan Masood
- Babar Azam
- Asif Ali
- Haris Sohail
- Mohammad Nawaz
- Fahim Ashraf
- Hasan Ali
- Junaid Khan
- Usman Shinwari
- Shaheen Afridi